The Langley Covered Bridge spans the St. Joseph River north of Centreville. At 282 feet long, it is one of the longest wooden covered bridges in the nation. It consists of three separate spans, each 94 feet long, and is 16 feet high and 19 feet wide. This covered bridge is one of the few remaining covered bridges in west Michigan. Constructed in 1887, it became the namesake of the town’s annual summer festival, Covered Bridge Days, which is celebrated in July. In 1910, the Sturgis Dam was built, forming a small waterfall, and the bridge was raised eight feet higher. It became a Michigan State Historic Site in 1965.
There are two parks near the bridge, Covered Bridge Park and Pahl Point Park. Both offer picnic areas and nature trails winding through woods. Covered Bridge Park also has a playground, ponds, and excellent views of the bridge. Pahl Point Park has fishing piers and good views of the river. It also hosts an annual Conservation Day for local fifth-graders to learn about Michigan’s natural world from a variety of local and regional experts. Many activities in the parks are available year-round, including fishing along the shoreline and photographing the native plants, wildlife, and birds.